October 27th, 2009
October 26, 2009, Cape Cod Times announced that a national advocacy group recently named Nantucket as the top recycling community in the country, knocking San Francisco off its perch. Thanks to an adaptation of a “zero waste” recycling program a decade ago, Nantucket leads the way in recycling and composting, and is ingraining “green” values within younger generations in the community. (Trust us. Ask any islander about the “Take it or Leave It” pile, which has become a hot gathering spot to find anything from furniture to good beach reads.)
Recycling and caring for the environment is now second nature to islanders. Everyone plays an important role. Here is how the Nantucket Boat Basin is helping:
- Reducing Pollution from Vessel Sewage Discharges – Raw or poorly treated sewage can spread disease, contaminate shellfish beds, and lower oxygen levels in water. Nantucket is a no-discharge harbor, and the Boat Basin offers complimentary pump-out services at all three of its wharves. Recently, The Clean Waters U.S. Fish and Wild Life Service recognized the Nantucket Boat Basin for participating in the most “pump-outs” of any marina in the U.S. The Boat Basin’s clean facilities and “clean boating” educational efforts were also recognized.
- Welcome and Educate – Upon arrival to the Nantucket Boat Basin, all incoming vessels receive a lovely welcome bag dedicated to Nantucket & the environment. Information on how to recycle, the proper use of environmental materials and where to properly discard each, is included. Boaters looking to refuel are given an absorbent donut to affix around fuel nozzles, to reduce leakage into the water. Guests also receive a small jar of biodegradable soap to wash their boat with, all in an effort to keep the surrounding water clean.
- Waste Has a Place! – The Nantucket Boat Basin has a zero-tolerance policy for mixed, or non-complying rubbish. There are 35 sets of large recycling bins to sort aluminum, plastics, and glass located throughout the 30 docks of the marina. Cigarettes can be extinguished in 50 dedicated areas, and there are 190 decorated rubbish barrels that blend with the décor of the island. Pet owners can even “dispose” at the Boat Basin’s Animal Needs Park with complimentary biodegradable bags.
- Time and Dedication – The Nantucket Boat Basin provides environmentally- friendly staff dedicated to removing, sorting, and cleaning the marina’s waste each day. Four or more marina attendants are on hand daily just to clean and maintain the 18 bathrooms and shower facilities.
For more information on the Nantucket Boat Basin and its environmental efforts, please visit http://www.nantucketboatbasin.com/
October 23rd, 2009
Beach at Parrot Cay
Not to make light of Eric Clapton’s famous rehab center, Crossroads, in Antigua, but the Caribbean beaches really do seem like the place that rock stars go to detox. Or at least sleep…
Case in point: Bono and the rest of the U2 crew just returned from Rosewood Mayakobá, where they took a few days’ breather from their concert tour (next stop: Pasadena on Sunday, October 25; the concert will be streaming live on YouTube). Paul McCartney was there last winter, no doubt taking a well-deserved break. It’s Friday, so we can’t think of a good “When I’m Sixty-Four” joke to insert here…there has to be one.
If you’re more a Stones person than a Beatles person, it’s worth noting that Keith Richards regularly appears at Parrot Cay, where he owns a villa, to soak up the Vitamin D and all those healthful effects of the salty ocean. Sometimes his assistant comes too, with her dog named Ruby Tuesday.
October 21st, 2009
Our secret to a stress-free lifestyle? COMO Shambhala’s latest additions to their soothing oil collection. The new COMFORT, HARMONY, and CALM Balms come in 5 ml rollerball bottles – perfectly compact to zip through those eagle-eyed security lines at the airport or to tote around during a busy daytime shopping excursion. Simply rub one of the oils on temples or wrists and welcome instant tranquility and serenity.
- COMFORT Balm unites a warm blend of lavender, nutmeg, and cedarwood to nurture and reassure
- HARMONY Balm mingles the essence of pure Indian sandalwood, lime, and exotic ylang ylang to bring together sensual energy and sensitivity
- CALM Balm relieves anxiety, nervousness, and stress with a powerful combination of lavender and geranium
COMO Shambhala is a lifestyle brand and healthy living concept composed of world class spas, treatments, services, products, and cuisine promoting overall well-being. The COMO Shambhala essential balm collection also includes the PURIFY, INVIGORATE and SHELTER Balms. CALM, COMFORT, and HARMONY will be available for purchase through the COMO Shambhala mail order service starting in January 2010.
October 21st, 2009
LOVE to get away? In 2010, Valentine’s Day and President’s Day coincide, so take your partner or your posse on a trip without using all of your vacation days! It’s never to early to start planning a “True Love Tryst” or a “Singles Escape!”
October 16th, 2009
Looking for a spa pick-me up from one of Condé Nast Traveler’s Hot Spas of 2009? Visit The Peninsula Spa by ESPA, New York before the New Year and take advantage of these glorious spa deals.
Spacation: $250.00 (valued at $404, valid Monday through Sunday, offer expires 12/31/09)
- 60-minute treatment of choice (Holistic Massage, Intensive Facial or Organic Sunless Tanning Treatment)
- 15-minute “Deeper Relaxation” addition with choice of Express Facial or Scalp Massage
- Naturally Peninsula Spa Cuisine Lunch
- Complimentary use of the sundeck, pool, fitness center and all yoga and core classes
- Two ESPA introductory products to continue your spa experience at home
- Guests encouraged to arrive 60 minutes prior to treatment to make full use of spa facilities, including the Asian Tea Lounge, relaxation areas, and Heat Experience with steam room, sauna, ice fountain, and experience shower.
Weekday Pricing Promotions (valid Monday through Thursday, offer expires 11/30/09)
- $150: Any 60 min. treatment normally priced at $195 now discounted to $150.
- $250: Only the following 90 minute services normally priced at $295 are now discounted to $250: Swedish, Hot Stone, Aromatherapy, Deep Tissue and Maternity Massage, also the Refining Enzyme Facial.
Please note that these discounts CANNOT BE COMBINED with any other promotions or discounts, such as member discount, $30 GCs. or any other weekday special. This will only apply to clients who are paying full price with no other DISCOUNTS.
Deals can be found online at: http://www.peninsula.com/New_York/en/Wellness/default.aspx#/New_York/en/Wellness/The_Peninsula_Spa_by_ESPA/Spa_Journeys/
October 15th, 2009
Are you lucky enough to be on Nantucket this weekend? If you are, do yourself (and the island) a favor and take advantage of one, or ALL, of the great events happening on island.
- Pork & Beer Tasting Tour at Cisco Brewery in honor of Hogtoberfest- Savor grilled sausage, bacon and other pork basics with beer pairings while touring Cisco Brewers, the region’s first micro- distillery.
- The 2009 Scalloper’s Ball at the Nantucket Yacht Club- Each year this hugely popular annual event on Saturday night draws all sorts of people looking to sip Cisco Brewers beer while noshing on local bay scallops, mussels, quahogs, striped bass, seafood stew and a raw fish bar all caught, cooked and served by Nantucket fishermen. Great music and a live auction (don’t forget to bid on that winter rental slip at the Nantucket Boat Basin!) keep this event jumping all night.
- Sunday’s Annual Chowder Festival- Almost every restaurant on Nantucket has clam chowder on their menu. It is New England after all! This Sunday, island restaurants will vie for the bragging rights of winning “Best Chowder on Nantucket.” Fill your Sunday afternoon (and warm your belly) with exceptional New England clam chowder.
- Golf Sankaty! – This is the first weekend of the season that non-members have access to Sankaty, one of the few true world-class golf courses. The famous Sankaty Head Lighthouse looms over the front nine and still shines brightly over the Atlantic Ocean, making golf on Nantucket truly spectacular. http://www.sankatyheadgc.com/
- Last call for the Farmers and Artisans Market– Quick, this Saturday is the last weekend of the year to wander over to the Nantucket Farmers & Artisans Market. Pick up locally grown vegetables, berries, and flowers, as well as, hand-crafted pottery, jewelry, crafts and more.
Need a place to rest your head after all this fun? Check out the Fall Special Rates at the new White Elephant Hotel Residences. http://www.whiteelephanthotelresidences.com/
October 13th, 2009
There’s a tell-tale bite to the wind and a leafy crunch underfoot, which means that autumn is right around the corner. So load up the car, breathe in that crisp air, and embark on an All-American road trip to delight in the season’s brilliant fall foliage – and Park Hyatt’s latest offers.
1. Guests will give thanks for the Park Hyatt Washington’s An American Harvest package, available now through November 29. Enjoy an upgrade to a Park Deluxe room, featuring spa-inspired limestone rain showers and deep soaking tubs. Then quiet that rumbling tummy with a complimentary signature apple pie from the hotel’s award-winning Blue Duck Tavern while cozying up and sipping on a seasonal beverage in the hotel’s Lounge. Who could resist an Apple Cinnamon Martini from the new fall cocktail menu? Prices for the package start at $309 per room, plus tax.
Don’t miss out on the Blue Duck Tavern’s Thanksgiving brunch from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on November 26. The prix fixe, three-course menu is $85 per person (only $42.50 for children ages 6-12, and complimentary for kids under six). An á la carte Thanksgiving dinner will also be available from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
2. Think pink at the Park Hyatt Toronto! For the month of October, guests can help promote breast cancer awareness by staying in the newly-fashioned “Pink Suite.” Dreamed up by Canadian designer Sarah Richardson, of HGTV’s Design Inc., the one-of-a-kind suite features pink bedding, artwork, a sitting room, and various accents in the bathroom. Guests will also enjoy the all-pink culinary creations and amenities offered during their stay in the “Pink Suite.”
For each of the suite’s rack rate reservations, Park Hyatt Toronto will donate to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation; all funds raised will support breast cancer research and community health projects for those living with or at risk for the disease.
3. Expect to hear Elton John’s Candle in the Wind ballad at Park Hyatt Philadelphia over the next few months. The hotel’s newest package honors the life of the late Princess Diana with two VIP tickets to the Diana: A Celebration exhibit at the National Constitution Center, now through December 30.
Diana: A Celebration presents nine galleries showcasing the life and legacy of Diana Frances Spencer, Princess of Wales. The award-winning exhibit provides an intimate glimpse into her childhood, her engagement and fairytale royal wedding with Prince Charles, their children, and Diana’s tireless charity work.
- Diana’s royal wedding gown, diamond tiara, veil, 25-foot train, shoes and parasol
- 28 dresses worn by Diana during her public life, including suits and gowns designed by Versace, Valentino, Chanel, and Azagury, among others
- Diamond tiaras and priceless family jewels
- Home movies of Diana’s childhood, historical artifacts, personal letters, photos and heirlooms
4. At Park Hyatt Chicago, every girl will feel like a Princess with the hotel’s American Girl Place Package. During their stay, children will receive a child-sized Park Hyatt robe and slippers for pint-sized pampering, as well as a bubble bath experience complete with a personal bath butler and a tasty “coconut flavored beverage.” Girls can snuggle up in their rooms to watch one of the four American Girl movies before the nightly turn-down service of milk and cookies. To top it all off, there’s an American Girl doll travel bed to take home as a memento! The offering is available until December 16 and includes accommodations for two and complimentary breakfast at the hotel’s restaurant, NoMI.
5. Picture Colorado and your mind may conjure up images of powdery-soft snow banks and bundled-up ski bunnies. The latest offer at Park Hyatt Beaver Creek is sure to leave you smiling with an unexpected dose of sunshine. Sign up for the hotel’s Sunshine on Sale deal, book any two nights between now and December 1 and receive the third night free.
Be sure to test out the menu at the new 8100 Bar & Grill restaurant or sink into the healing waters at Allegria Spa.
October 12th, 2009
Park Hyatt Tokyo gets some street cred for hooking up with Nigo, the Japanese bad-boy DJ, producer, and fashion entrepreneur, to compile a CD to celebrate the iconic hotel’s 15th anniversary. Known to rub elbows with the likes of Kanye West and Pharrell Williams, Nigo taps into his knowledge of Tokyo’s cultural mash-up and weaves underground hip-hop beats, house and lounge beats, and vibes from the late 80′s/early 90′s Japanese artists on the tracks inspired by his time spent chilling in the Tokyo Suite on the 50th floor.
No word on whether he made use of the baby grand piano in the 2,368 square-foot suite, but no doubt he enjoyed the jaw-dropping views, paintings by Yoshitaka Echizenya (he’s a modern art fan and collector), the 50-inch plasma TV, and the marble whirlpool and sauna.
Nigo is also known as the founder of the funky urban clothing line, A Bathing Ape® (called BAPE by those in the know) and he’s been credited with transforming Tokyo’s street style. You’ll be able to snag a copy of the TOKYO SUITE CD when it drops on November 25 at BAPE stores worldwide. It will also be available at the Park Hyatt Tokyo’s gift shop, and Bape’s US online store.
BAPE STORE NEW YORK
91 Greene Street
New York, NY 10012
BAPE STORE LOS ANGELES
8001 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90046
October 8th, 2009
Removing make-up can be a nasty chore – oily make-up removers are harsh on the skin and irritate sensitive eyes, and creamy removers are messy and can leave behind residue. But without make-up remover, women are forced to scrub their faces callously with soap and water, or even worse, leave make-up on overnight. The result? Messy, mascara streaked pillows and clogged pores.
Take off the make-up without the fuss with ESPA Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover, a light, gentle cleansing lotion which dissolves eye make-up and helps to restore skin tone without dehydrating the delicate areas around the eyes. The cleanser is super-light, but super effective – it lifts away all make-up, including waterproof mascara and lipstick. Instead of the usual rubbing and scrubbing, ESPA suggests placing a small amount of the lotion onto a damp cotton wool and letting it sit on the eyes for a few moments before wiping away.
ESPA Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover is available in a long-lasting large 100ml size for $43.00 and a convenient 60ml plastic Traveler size for $27.50. It is suitable for all skin types, as well as contact lens and glasses wearers.
October 8th, 2009
Seoul is spicing up to be quite the culinary destination this autumn with the Park Hyatt Masters of Food and Wine festival held at Park Hyatt Seoul, October 29 to November 8. While the tradition of an annual food and wine festival was sparked more than twenty years ago, Park Hyatt’s celebration of its foodie roots is stronger than ever.
This season’s event features a new selection of renowned Chefs and sommeliers. Each will host expertise-specific seminars and cook up a range of gastronomic masterpieces – from foie gras dishes, to Japanese, Korean and Thai dishes, and even pastries and desserts.
Highlights of the festival include Michelin-star executive chef Ulf Braunert of the Palace Luzern in Switzerland as well as Park Hyatt Seoul’s own executive chef, Stefano Di Salvo.
The culinary carnival kicks off with a special lunch and dinner presented by Chef Braunert on October 29 and a welcome cocktail reception on November 2. Hone your culinary knowledge the following evening in The Salon at the wine seminar with Hyatt Regency Incheon’s Sommelier. Or head to the asian cuisine cooking classes, where participants are schooled in the preparation of Asian recipes, foie gras dishes, Mediterranean cuisine, and more.
Make sure to stroll on over to The Gallery Park Ryu Sook for the art gallery dinner complete with Korean art and Asian cuisine, and revel in the notes of an international vocalist as three chefs present Asian flavors at The Timber House bar. Masters of Food and Wine Seoul will culminate in a gala dinner, uniting world-class cuisine and wines.
Featured chefs of the event will include:
For the past three years, Masters of Food and Wine has been hosted by the Park Hyatt properties in Buenos Aires and Mendoza, highlighting South American cuisine and the ever-expanding Argentinean wine world. A spin-off of the festival was also held this past September at the Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme.